Insurance abroad

It's easier than ever to pop over the sea and explore Europe from the comfort and convenience of your own car. But before you leave, it's important to make sure you've got all the necessary car insurance cover for happy (and legal) driving.

Your insurance cover includes FREE cover (equivalent to the cover you have in the UK), in the following countries: all EU countries, Norway, Switzerland, Iceland and Croatia. You don't have to tell us if you are taking your car to any of these countries but you do need to take your Certificate of Motor Insurance.

Also, our optional breakdown service can be extended to cover you abroad, just get in touch with our customer care department who will be able to provide you with further information. Please note there will be an extra charge for this service.

REMEMBER when travelling abroad...

  • To check for toll roads in your country of travel as you will need some spare change handy in your car. Sometimes the tolls are un-manned so require exact monies
  • To take along your driving licence (plus paper counterpart if you have a photo licence), your motor insurance certificate and passport
  • Adjust your headlights according to your country of travel
  • Service your car before you go on a long trip abroad
  • Your GB sticker as you could be fined if this is not displayed or appears on your number plate as a GB/Euro symbol
  • Drive on the correct side of the road. Make sure you do your research on the country or countries you're planning to drive in so you don't find yourself head-on with oncoming traffic!

Important - should you want to travel to Andorra, you will need to produce your Green Card to the authorities upon request. So it is important you allow enough time, between your journey and your call to us, for your Green Card to reach you before travel.

Share with your friends