Car tax

Taxing your vehicle

Under changes announced by the Government from Monday 16 December 2013 the requirement to supply a printed Motor Insurance Certificate when buying road tax at the post office will stop.

Insurance is still a legal requirement unless a vehicle has been declared off road with a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN). This change has been introduced to make the process easier for motorists and has been made possible through the DVLA using centrally-held databases to ensure that vehicles are insured.

The changes to the tax process come ahead of the tax disc being replaced by an electronic system in October 2014.

What does this mean for you?

If you buy your road tax at the post office you will no longer need to take a certificate of Motor Insurance with you.

Instead the details will be cross-checked on an electronic system.

Please remember you can now tax your car online*

Click to tax your car online

*You may not be able to tax your vehicle online in all instances.

Share with your friends