Checking oil levels
You could seriously damage your car engine if it doesn't have the correct amount of oil, perhaps so badly that you could end up requiring a new one. Check the oil level about once every couple of weeks and make sure that you only do so when the car is on a level surface and the engine has cooled down.
- Wipe the dipstick so it's clean
- Insert the dipstick fully into the oil sump and pull it out again
- Check that the oil mark is between the upper and lower limits shown on the dipstick
- If your oil does need topping up, please make certain that you are using the correct oil for your engine - your owner's manual should tell you this
- Unscrew the oil filler cap, put carefully to the side and pour in a small amount of the new oil
- Recheck the level with the dipstick
- Repeat until the level is around half way between the minimum and maximum marks
Your oil should be completely changed every time you have your car serviced. This is usually once a year or every 10,000 miles but please check your car owner's manual for further details.