Mad for mocktails
Whether you're going 'dry' for Macmillan's Sober for October campaign, or just having bit of a break from alcohol before all the lovely Christmas eggnogs and mulled wines start getting made, non-alcoholic drinks can be pretty boring.
There's only so much squash and tea a girl can drink!
And it can be particularly tough on a girls' night out when everyone else is drinking exotic cocktail creations and you're stood there nursing a diet Coke.
So hoorah for the 'mocktail' - they look good and taste a whole lot better than plain, old water.
Here are a few of our favourites you can try at home.
Goodtoknow's chocolate mocktail is perfect for those with a sweet tooth who love creamy, rich drinks.
Ingredients (Serves 3)
- 150g milk chocolate bar
- 210ml milk
- 75ml vanilla syrup
- 3 squares of milk chocolate
- Place the milk in a non-stick saucepan and gently simmer
- Break half of the chocolate bar into squares and add to the milk. Stir gently until the chocolate has melted
- Allow to cool for one hour at room temperature and then store in fridge
- Pour the cool milk mixture into a cocktail shaker and add the vanilla syrup. Shake over ice for one minute and double-strain into martini glass
- For decoration, slice into a square of chocolate and place at an angle on the rim of each glass or grate some chocolate over the top of the drink
You don't have to forgo delicious mulled drinks if you're alcohol-free; try Tana Ramsey's mulled punch - perfect for a chilly autumn evening.
Ingredients (Serves 5)
- 1 glass of apple juice
- 1 glass of orange juice
- 1 glass of cranberry juice
- 2cm piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- 2 whole cloves
- Put all the ingredients into a pan and heat to just below boiling
- Simmer for at least 15 - 20 minutes to let the flavours infuse. You can add sugar to sweeten if you like
- Strain into mugs and serve
If you want to add a touch of the Caribbean to your glass, try BBC GoodFood's fruity mocktail.
Ingredients (Serves 8)
- Handful of strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1 kiwi fruit, peeled and chopped
- 2 pineapple rings, chopped
- Sparkling apple juice (chilled)
- Tropical fruit juice (chilled)
- Soda water (chilled)
- Fill 8 glasses with a mixture of the fruits
- Then add equal amounts of the sparkling apple juice, tropical fruit juice and soda water
- Serve immediately
Blackberry, elderflower & mint spritzer
If a hedgerow mojito is your idea of the perfect cocktail then you'll love this alcohol-free version from thekitchn.com almost as much. If you fancy a change, replace the lime juice and blackberries for lemon juice and strawberries.
Ingredients (makes a pitcher)
- 1 litre of soda water, chilled
- 8 tbsps of elderflower syrup, chilled
- 1 lime, juiced
- Large handful of blackberries, washed
- Handful of mint leaves
- Whisk the soda water and elderflower syrup with the lime juice
- Stir in the blackberries and mint leaves
- Serve immediately