Had an accident? Here’s what you need to know
Car accidents can leave you feeling pretty shaken up and, whether your fault or not, knowing how to go about making a claim can be confusing.
If you're insured with Diamond just call our Claims department on 0333 220 2037 and a member of the team will talk you through the next steps.
Making sure the claims process is as quick and easy as possible is in everyone's best interests so, is there anything you can do to help speed up the process?
We've put together this handy checklist of 5 essential things to do straight after you have an accident.
1. Exchange details with everyone involved in the accident. Make sure you all provide your full names, contact telephone numbers and insurance details, including the policy number and car registration details. At this point, remain calm and polite, but do not admit you were at fault for the accident, even if you think you were. Make a note of any passengers in the other car, including their rough age.
2. If you have a mobile phone on you or keep a camera in your car, it's a good idea to take a photo of the damage to all cars involved. If any other property was damaged, photograph that too. Also, take a photo of the scene of the accident including road markings and signs.
3. If there were any witnesses to the accident ask for their details, including an address and telephone number. An independent witness can be useful to prove who was at fault in an accident.
4. If your car is causing an obstruction, try and move it to the side of the road, but make sure you can do so safely and don't put yourself in any danger.
5. Telephone our claims department; they will be able to arrange for your car to be collected by one of our approved repairers so they can assess the damage. Call 0333 220 2037 and our team will talk you through the claim process and take any important information from you to start the claim as quickly as possible.
Calls to 03 numbers will cost no more than calls to national geographic numbers (starting 01 or 02) from both mobiles and landlines.
If the accident happens outside our opening hours: Mon - Fri 8am - 9pm, Sat 9am - 5pm, Sun 10am - 4pm, and the car isn't driveable, call the 24-hour Accident Recovery Helpline on 0800 600 840. They will be able to collect and store your car until it can be assessed for damage.
Of course, if anyone is badly injured in the accident and requires urgent medical attention, telephone the emergency services.