Home security while you're on holiday
When you're settling in for a few days of sun, sea and relaxation, the last thing you want to be thinking about is your house.
While at some point everyone's had to stop and think 'did I turn my straighteners off?' as soon as the front door shuts, worrying about your home's security while you're out of the country is a different matter.
However, there are a few simple tricks to help keep your home safe while you're away.
So before you jet off, take a quick look at our list of home security tips
- If you trust your neighbours, let them know that you're going away. Ask them if they'd mind keeping an eye on your home and if they'd collect your post and put away your bin after rubbish day
- Cancel any milk or newspaper deliveries so they aren't gathering on your doorstep – this is big giveaway that no one's home
- Invest in a few light-timers; set your interior lights to come on at different times. Time different rooms to different schedules so they come on in a more realistic pattern
- Leave curtains and blinds open. Closed blinds in the daytime are another empty house signal. Keep them open as you usually would, just make sure all expensive items are out of sight
- Step away from Facebook! We all love to post a 'how's the weather?' photo the minute we hit the beach, but don't forget anyone can see that information. Upload your holiday snaps when you're back in the UK
- Be careful who you tell - if you take a taxi to the airport, don't tell the driver how long you're away for and make it sound like you have a house-sitter